Talking, sharing, gaining and learning...

Hi guys. Thanks ya for visiting my page. I've been experiencing quite a good week. I've got time to spend for myself (not like a couple of weeks before where i've been focus out of my purpose of life). Anyway, how is life going over there, friend? Hope you guys are also having a good week as well.

So, this time I am not going to tackle the topic "Love". But i still have something that is might fall in to your interest. This time I am going to tackle a topic about "sharing and learning with OLDER people".

Ha, i know you guys might say that "I'll know what are going to talk about". But anyway, have you guys really experience how does it really feel to talk with the elderly?

Me myself, i've been spending quite sometime talking with older people. I like to talk with older people because they have taste the salt more than us. That's why they got kidney problem after that... hahaha. I am just kidding.


Anyway, I am seriously have learned a lot from them. Perhaps because it is my nature to talk with older people. When ever i go back to my village (my longhouse to be exact), I've always find some time to spend a lot of my time talking and sharing with my grandfather. I love talking with him because he has a lot of things and experiences to share with me. I love listening to his opinions and sharing my views about life and on what happening around. But, recently my grandfather became partially deaf and he could not really listen to what i am trying to share with him. Sigh... :(

Some how or rather, I still find some of my time to talk with somebody who is much older than me. I have a lot of "old friends" whenever I go to a certain place. I can really connect and converse with them. I always find it is easy to find a topic to talk about (or sometime they find the topic to talk about... most of the time actually). I can easily grew fond to an older person as long as they are willing to become my "teacher" to teach me about "life".

The very reason I love talk with older people is, I know that they have the answers towards the life problems. Reason why? Because the have more experiences than me. That's the reason why.

I know that whenever I approach them to ask for advice, I believe that they always have one because they have been through my stage at one point of their life. And they know exactly what i am asking about. Even if they don't know, they will always have good and nice experiences to share with.


I still remember when I talked with my foster father (who is actually quite an old man), he always told me, "youngsters know a lot of stuffs through learning (and imagining what's happening) but old people have a lot of knowledge because they experienced them." I always envy old people because they have more experience than me but I will wait for my turn to speak with the young people in the future.

Anyway, I know that some of us is too shy to talk and share our thoughts or feelings with the elderly. Some of us are shy of them because we don't want them to point out what we have done wrong or what we could have done better to improve our life. Some of us is just to shy to admit what they have did in their life, what they believe about life and what they commit their life into, to the elderly. I know how does embarrass feel like when you approach old people but which one is more shameful: to know that what's wrong at the first place or to do something wrong that we could have avoid if we seek for guidance.

There is a lot to be gained when we talk with another person who is much older than us. Talking with a person who is older than us make us more mature. We become more realistic and rational in our life and in our action. I want to quote one story that is told by my "dad" when i met him last week:

"Tim, you want to know one thing. I've spoken to a young lady recently and she told me that she rather talk with people who come from the same age as her."
"Then, what?"
"And then i asked her, what will you learn from a person who have the same level of experience as you? Talk with somebody who is older than you than you will learn something new and fresh."

That's true. I know some of you might disagree with what i mentioned but anyway that is the truth. You will learn better from a person who have the first hand information. From a person that have been living and experiencing life more than us. You may have learned something from your friends but most of the time they heard of what they said from somebody else or they just use their logical thinking to at least give their opinions. But older people will answer your questions with their experiences. Which one is more valuable and more believable: Imagination or Logic or Experiences?

Imagination and logical thinking can sometime be right and sometime be wrong. But experience, what can be wrong with it. Experience is something that is true, something that is gain when a person pass through the time of their life. And there is no false experience (unless that person lie to you in which is unlikely to older people because they have the true experience to share with).

Learning from others experience is very vital in our life. Because we may not be able to experience what other people experienced. We might not see or view the world and life from the angles other people see them. This is why we need to learn from them; to see what they see and to view how they view.


I also know that there is some cons when you learn from others experience. One of them is that you will not be able to experience the things that you have learned from other people to the fullest because you know about it already. Anyway there is nothing wrong by learning from older people because in this world there is so much more to experience.

Besides that, there are people who experienced things by themselves but some other people learned from the others. It is just like scientists. Some scientists create their own hypothesis and test it themselves. And other scientists, they re-experiment what they observed from other scientists founding.

So friends, that's about it. I am really glad that I finally can share about this to you guys out there because I found that the younger generations nowadays spend less time with older people. I hope that you will learn something here.

Go and spend sometime with your grandparents, your parents and who ever older people that you know.
Because it is always worthy to spend our time with them (for the precious moments and knowledge that we learn from them).

Thanks.

1 comment:

Re-visit my previous posts